With winter in full swing, many people are eager to save as much money as they can through energy-efficient choices. At Window Products here in Branford, we understand. And did you know that one of the best ways to improve your home’s energy efficiency is to monitor how much indoor temperature you lose at the window? Read on to learn some tips for improving energy efficiency right at that expanse of glass.
Five Tips for Your Windows
Up to 50% of a home’s heating and cooling costs can be lost through the window. That’s why it’s important to take some steps to prevent outside air from entering and inside air from escaping.
- Be sure to weather-strip your windows and doors, especially in the winter
- Caulk basement windows as well as storm windows
- Keep the windows locked so you’re sure they’re shut as tightly as possible
- If the winter day is sunny, open your window treatments to let in the sun’s natural heat, and be sure to keep them closed at night so the heat doesn’t escape
- By the same token, keep your window treatments closed during the hot summer days to help keep those hot rays out
Hunter Douglas Products Can Help
Honeycomb shades (also called cellular blinds or shades) are one of the more popular window treatments used today in residential homes and businesses. Having been around for over 30 years, they continue to offer superior privacy, insulation, and light control. This time-tested honeycomb shade keeps you warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. When the shade is lowered, you can actually feel the cold or hot air disappear, because as hot or cold air passes through the material, it is trapped in the honeycomb-shaped cells. This allows your room to stay comfortable. Because of the shape of Hunter Douglas Duette® honeycomb shades, they are great at insulating windows, and Duette® Architella® Honeycomb Shades, with their honeycomb-within-a-honeycomb design are the best. That said, other Hunter Douglas products are also good at insulating windows, including:
- Solera® Soft Shades. Solera shades combine a soft sculptured look with a unique cellular construction. The layered fabric does the job when it comes to insulating your room from the heat and cold.
- Sonnette™ Cellular Roller Shades. This shade combines the look of a roller shade with the energy efficiency of a cellular shade. It is stylish and sleek and will transform any room through its control of light. In fact, the new, round, sculptured construction of the Sonnette cellular roller shade is being called “the new shape of light.” These beautiful rolling cells gently diffuse sunlight throughout the room while creating a sense of privacy.
- Duette® Vertiglide™ Honeycomb Shade. This vertical product is ideal for large windows. The Vertiglide is made with the well-known honeycomb-shaped Duette fabric, which offers unparalleled benefits: improved energy efficiency, security, and a beautiful sleek design. This incredible fabric provides extra insulation by keeping cold air out in the winter while allowing you to keep the heat from the sun from entering your home in the summer.
Improving Energy Efficiency in Branford, Brookfield CT
At Window Products, we’ve been serving Connecticut since 1994. We offer the full line of Hunter Douglas window fashions, a nice selection of screen shades, and a wide variety of awnings and shades. Our personalized service, quality products, and professional installation services ensure you’ll find the perfect window treatment or awning for your home or business.
Our showroom is located in Branford and we also service Middlebury, Oxford, Monroe, Newtown, Brookfield, Waterbridge, Roxbury, Woodbury, Hamden, North Branford, North Haven, Wallingford, and surrounding areas. Contact us for more details.